To fulfill President Macky Sall’s desire to eliminate shelters to ensure quality access for all learners, the Department of Education took two important actions:
– The approval of new creations of schools or cycles is strictly supported by the justification of the existence of classrooms in which to house the lessons learned, in order to fight the evil at its root
– the implementation of the Emergency Shelter Replacement Program (PRORAP) since 2018. It should be noted that in 2011 there were 8,822 temporary shelters, which in 2017 were reduced to 6,369, distributed throughout the national territory.
Procedure for implementing PRORAP
The PRORAP is divided into four lots with a total of 6,369 classrooms replacing emergency shelters, 4,701 administration blocks, 2,498 sanitary blocks and 241,500 running meters of fence wall
▪ Lot 1: for the construction and equipment of 1,850 classrooms to replace temporary accommodation, 1,372 administrative buildings, 730 sanitary buildings and 70,500 ml of fence wall made of conventional materials for an amount of F CFA 34,324,850,286 including VAT.
▪ Lot 2: for the construction and furnishing of 1,529 classrooms to replace temporary housing, 1,107 administrative buildings, 607 sanitary buildings and 59,000 linear meters of perimeter wall using local materials for an amount of F CFA 24,966,892,066 including VAT.
▪ Lot 3: for the construction and equipment of 1,528 classrooms replacing temporary accommodation, 1,129 administrative buildings, 602 sanitary buildings and 58,000 linear meters of perimeter wall made of innovative materials for an amount of F CFA 33,072,505,392 including VAT.
▪ Lot 4: for the construction and furnishing of 1,462 classrooms to replace temporary housing, 1,093 administrative buildings, 559 sanitary buildings and 54,000 ml fence wall made of conventional materials for an amount of F CFA TTC 28,315,286,516, status of progress and rate of completion of the various batches .
The completion rate of Lot 1 is 97.74%, with 1,448 classrooms, 1,037 administrative buildings, 561 sanitary buildings and 49,795 linear meters of boundary wall completed in the fourteen regions. The equipment is being delivered throughout the area and installation in the classrooms and administration buildings is complete.
Lot 3 for the construction and equipment of 1,528 classrooms, 1,129 administration buildings, 602 sanitary buildings and 58,000 linear meters of perimeter wall made of innovative materials for an amount of CFA francs 33,072,505,392 TTC is in the start-up phase. In fact, on 07/01/2021, the GROUP BATINOV-VEFA/SOGECAM/GTS/OCTA/DIGICAO in charge of the works received its commissioning order for a period of 30 months, including six (06) for studies and twenty – four (24) for works from the January 1, 2022.
For Lot 2, works have not yet started. However, it was the subject of a West African Development Bank (BOAD) assessment mission from 7 to 12 March 2022. BOAD is in good shape for its funding.
As for Lot 4, work has not yet started as funding has not yet been mobilized.
The mid-term balance sheet
Overall, we went from 8,822 shelters in 2011 to 4,921 shelters in 2022. Since permits for new creations are contingent on building classrooms, the shelter replacement process could end by the end of 2025. After all, it should be noted that Minister Mamadou Talla included PRORAP in the emergency programs of the Ministry of National Education.