The coroner is investigating the death of the Manawan baby

Thursday March 31, the little one has a fever, but as she’s teething, the parents aren’t overly concerned and are giving her paracetamol, according to a close friend of the parents, who asked for anonymity to protect the child’s identity.

The next day, the baby has a fever again, which seriously worries the parents. So they call the Masko-Siwin Health Center in Manawan and insist on being able to go there.

The baby is then examined by a nurse, who recommends that the parents give him acetaminophen and stay alert.

She said the little one grew six teeth at once and the fever would go down with the Tylenol. It’s typical for the nurses here to give us Tylenolprotested the family spokesman.

The baby’s condition remains stable but does not improve for the next 24 hours. The little one will be taken away on Saturday evening crampsso the source.

Police officers who arrived at the house as first responders called the ambulance. According to the family, the baby was taken to the health center around 8:40 p.m., 10 minutes after the police arrived.

It wasn’t until around 11:45 p.m. that the baby and his mother left the community by ambulance bound for Joliette Hospital. Finally, the sick child is transferred to CHU Sainte-Justine in Montreal, where he dies on Monday, April 4, diagnosed with meningitis and COVID-19.

Healthcare involved

According to family spokesman Parents have nothing to say about the ambulance service, it really is the center’s health service what is in question.

They question what they consider to be insufficient health care from the outset, but also their dependence on the triage service of a nurse in the event of a patient transport.

911″,”text”:”Il faut tout le temps passer par l’infirmière. On est pris là-dedans. On se fie [à eux] et on leur fait confiance. Il faut que ça change, on n’a pas de911″}}”>You always have to go through the nurse. We are trapped in it. We trust [à eux] and we trust them. That has to change, we don’t have a 911She says.

The Masko Siwin Health Center in Manawan has also launched an internal investigation into the quality of care at the time the child was cared for.

We are currently conducting an internal service quality investigation. We check whether there has been a violation of, let’s say, the code of ethicssays the director of the health center, Francine Moar.

Waiting for the departure by ambulance

The family is also trying to understand why the ambulance to Joliette took more than three hours. The family claims an ambulance was already there, but the health center says the Manawan team was unable to provide treatment.

over. Ça veut dire qu’elle ne pouvait pas être affectée à l’appel, parce qu’elle avait déjà trop d’heures d’opération”,”text”:”En principe, on a toujours des services ambulanciers sur place, sauf qu’à ce moment-là, l’équipe ambulancière était déjà en over. Ça veut dire qu’elle ne pouvait pas être affectée à l’appel, parce qu’elle avait déjà trop d’heures d’opération”}}”>We always have rescue services on site, but the rescue team was already there at that point over. This means that she could not be assigned to the call because she had already operated for too many hours.explains Francine Moar.

The closest paramedics are in Saint-Michel-des-Saints, about a two-hour drive from Manawan.

Given the condition of the road, it took the ambulance two hours to get from Saint-Michel-des-Saints to Manawan, and we’re not in Joliette yet. It was long agoconfirms Francine Moar.

The family also regrets the state of the road, especially at this time of year with the thaw. The conditions are awful and it must be worse in the ambulance. There is a health care gap and a road condition gapcloses the friend of the family.

Helicopter service requested

The family continues to wonder why a helicopter transfer was not approved. A question shared by Vice Chairman of Manawan’s Atikamekw Council, Sipi Flamand.

When it comes to a child’s medical condition, if they could have chosen to transport the child by helicopter, it would have been possible. I still don’t understand why it wasn’t donehe is complaining.

This isn’t the first time the coroner has investigated the death of a Manawan child following an ambulance transfer.

The 2009 death of a child who was also being transferred from Saint-Michel-des-Saints to Montreal prompted the coroner’s office to determine the transport times It is worth considering ways to reduce them.

At the end of his investigation, the coroner recommended himself to the Quebec Ministry of Health and Human Services to consider the relevance of establishing medical evacuation services by helicopter to care for patients in critical condition in remote regions.

le gouvernement nous en a donné qu’une seule [en 2018]. J’avais moi-même témoigné à la commission Viens en ce sens”,”text”:”Depuis des décennies, on demande d’avoir deux-trois ambulances pour des situations d’urgence, mais le gouvernement nous en a donné qu’une seule [en 2018]. J’avais moi-même témoigné à la commission Viens en ce sens”}}”>For decades we have required two or three ambulances for emergencies, but the government has only given us one. [en 2018]. In this sense, I allowed myself to be testified before the Vienna Commissionexplains Sipi Flamand.

As for the coroner’s investigation, that’s what Mr. Flamand’s hoping for most The government will act accordingly.

It’s nice to do research, but when there are recommendations, no one takes action afterwards. It’s wasted timehe says.

According to the Atikamekw Council of Manawan brief submitted during the Viens Commission, for the year 2015-2016 there were a total of 1,434 emergency transports, including 231 high priority ambulance transports, 414 first responder transports and 789 alternative transports for essential priorities.

At that time, the 2,000-strong community did not have its own ambulance.

Leave a Comment