- On April 14, government website Rappel Conso announced that the advent calendars marketed at the end of 2021 were also being recalled because health authorities feared the presence of salmonella in these chocolates.
- After the surge in food recalls, 53% of French people said they wanted to change their shopping habits, according to a YouGov poll conducted for LSA magazine.
On April 5, the Prefect of the North announced the ban on pizza production at the Buitoni factory in Caudry, which is closed until further notice. Three days later, the Belgian authorities also decided to close the Ferrero plant in Arlon.
Multiple food poisoning
Fraich’Up pizzas from the Buitoni brand have been suspected of being contaminated with E. coli bacteria since mid-March. “As of April 13, 53 confirmed cases have been identified. (…) Investigations are ongoing for 26 additional cases of hemolytic-uremic syndrome and Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) infections reported to Public Health France.” we can read in the last situation report of the health department. Eating contaminated Buitoni pizzas would have caused the deaths of two children.
Ferrero Kinder chocolates have been recalled and withdrawn from sale because they may contain salmonella, a pathogen that causes salmonellosis. According to the Ministry of Health, as of April 7, 21 cases of infection from the ingestion of salmonella have been detected in France, spread across 11 regions. “The median age is 4 years and there are 11 boys and 10 girls. Eight of them were hospitalized and all returned home,” refers to the ministry.
Parents of victims take legal action
Many children suffered severe food poisoning. Such is the case of Léna, 12, who lives in a suburb of Nancy. That’s what his parents, Cédric and Sophie, told himEast Republican that the young girl had eaten a Buitoni Fraich’Up pizza with her family. After eating this product, she was contaminated with E.Coli bacteria. The teenager has been hospitalized at Nancy University Hospital for two months.
In conversation with RMCsaid her parents doctors “made the decision to put her in a coma to avoid too much pain to ease her suffering a little”. The victim now has “large lesions”, “in the frontal lobe and back of the brain”. Léna’s mother stated that it was her “still in a coma. (…) We talk to him, but there is nothing”. “Today they can’t tell us if she’ll make it,” added Cedric.
Léna’s parents filed a complaint against the Buitoni brand. They are not the only ones who have decided to take legal action. And with good reason, her attorney indicated that he was entrusted with at least 45 cases related to this ingestion of pizzas contaminated with E. coli bacteria.
The families of children who have become ill through the consumption of children’s chocolate have also filed a complaint. Corresponding France 3 Normandy, the mother of a 2-year-old boy who lives in Val-de-Reuil (Eure), has taken legal action against Ferrero because her son was hospitalized after eating a Kinder chocolate. This product would not have been contaminated by the pathogen Salmonella but by another bacterium, Campylobacter.